Sunday, November 4, 2012

Beer, Cider and trips to the ER.

Totally crazy weekend. Started with taking Owen to the Urgent Care at Kaiser on Friday evening because he started screaming about his ear hurting...yep ear infection.

Also on Friday I picked up some awesome old-school bottlecappers off of Craigslist for homebrewing. They were super rusty but an overnight soak in white vinegar cleaned them up quite a bit.






Saturday morning consisted largely of dealing with the cleanup process of the bottlecappers.

Saturday afternoon I went and picked up our new keg dispensing system for our kegerator build. I got it for a steal. Refurbished corny keg, 2 dial regulator, gas line, beverage line, and co2 tank (which I'll be replacing). I even got an extra bottle brush out of the deal.




Also Saturday afternoon I went to Portland U-Brew and used one of my 4 Living Social deals to get several items needed for our brewing ventures, including some cleaning supplies, hops and a new thermometer. Then I went to Steinbarts and picked up a valve for our mash tun project.



I got 5 gallons of cider from Joe's Place farms and started our first hard cider. It's fermenting downstairs right now and smells amazing, although we way overpitched the yeast in it so we'll see what effect that has on the final product.

This morning I built our new batch sparge mashtun. Our first all grain brew through it will be next weekend. An Oatmeal Pale Ale!








After that we bottled our IPA, which came out phenomenal, using our new bottlecapper and racked our CDA into dryhop on Simcoe pellets.

Busy weekend! Headed down to check out the fermentation on the cider...more later.

2 comments:

  1. I am super proud and excited for the mash tun, and our adventures into all grain brewing. O being screaming, miserable sick was awful. Life, ups & downs, yeah?

    ReplyDelete